iPads Impact Schoolwork

Jaden Marcaida '20

Sophomores Santino Swan and William Hourihan study for their Global 2 test. Swan prefers to stick to paper notes while Hourihan prefers using his iPad.

McQuaid Jesuit students have mixed feelings on the new iPads. All students agree that the devices have made a significant change in the way they take notes, perform tests, and do homework, resulting in both positive and negative responses.

Some think the iPads are too complicated and take longer to type notes, as opposed to writing on paper. McQuaid Junior Vincenzo Capezzuto says, “iPads make taking notes harder because it is much slower than writing them down on paper.”

Sophomore Chad Robertson said, “Notes are much harder because the keyboards are not user-friendly.”

Other students disagree, saying that typing notes is faster, and more legible. Sophomore Will Dancy said, “Taking notes using my iPad makes it much easier because I am a fast typer.”

Sophomore Sean Richards agreed. “Notes are easier on the iPads because they are faster and you can always read them,” he said.

Homework is also different with the iPads. Many assignments are online and must be turned in by Schoology, verses taking paper home and handing it in the next day. Freshman Alexander Rita claimed, “Homework is easier on my iPad because resources are more easily accessible.” Rita is referring to search engines for research, such as looking up a question you have on Google.

There are also cons that students traverse when doing homework on the iPads. Will Hourihan said, “My iPad can make homework harder because sometimes I can’t get into Schoology and it’s confusing.” The point can be brought up that there are many technical issues that can happen to an iPad, and these issues do not happen with paper.

Perhaps this controversy will ease itself as students get more used to the iPads throughout the year.