Reflecting on Career of Tim Nally, ‘67 McQuaid Career

Tim Nally speaks at Agape Latte on October 24th.

It is not uncommon for graduates of McQuaid Jesuit High School to find great success and meaning in their lives, even leading them back to the school years later.

The values taught through their McQuaid experience seem to lead them on a pathway to success, but there is one notable graduate who perfectly exhibits the essence of McQuaid Jesuit. He embodies the excitement, the leadership, the humility, and the swagger of McQuaid Jesuit. That man is none other than our beloved Tim Nally, ‘67.

Nally began his time here at McQuaid over 50 years ago, when he attended the school as a young man. Things were different from what students are accustomed to nowadays. Long hair and failure to stay in dress code never went under the radar. Instead of the trivial JUG of today, “Justice Under God” was long and hard. 

Discipline was real for Nally. This strict experience paired with an already strict home life courtesy of his father helped Nally learn discipline, and respect.

“I think that the discipline – and being an undisciplined person – was very good for me,” says Nally.

Nally took the school’s discipline seriously, and he learned from it. He learned how to have fun without being “too much,” as well as how to be a teacher, rather than just a talker. 

Nally took what he got from McQuaid and put it right back in by coming back to serve in Advancement Department for the past eight years. More importantly, he  helped inspire and teach hundreds of young men throughout his time back at McQuaid by being a positive influence for many.

“We’re teaching leaders here… You have to be able to step up and make hard decisions”, says Nally.

Nally is also known for helping underprivileged young men attend McQuaid, and always working to help any and everyone he can. He often attends retreats with students as well, furthering his connection with students. Nally has proven time and time again that despite not teaching in the classroom, he teaches by example about kindness, humility, and charity through his actions, not his words.

Nally’s experience when compared to that of today’s students proves that McQuaid may have changed a lot, but some things will always be the same. The school can talk on and on about the “Grad at Grad” – along with the various values that encompasses an education at McQuaid. However, the McQuaid Jesuit lesson can be summed up in a paraphrased version of something Nally was taught years ago by his Jesuit teachers, a lesson he made sure to pass on: “Do something positive with your life.”

Nally’s presence in the halls has been greatly appreciated all these year, and will be sorely missed.