Online College Proves Flexible and Saves on Expenses

Bianchi in his own digital classroom

Michael Pribe '20

Bianchi in his own digital classroom

The online college experience is a boon for some students because it provides flexible access to a desired degree program at a top-notch university without the costs associated with relocation and on-campus living.

According to data reported by US News and World Report, over 90 percent of students attending online programs previously took college courses at other universities and transferred into the online program. Christian Bianchi, a senior studying in the online program at Full Sail University, fits the profile. Reading fantasy and science fiction, playing video games with friends, and storytelling are his interests and were considerations when making his final college program and degree choice.

Bianchi identified Full Sail University in Florida during his junior year in high school. FSU had many of the qualities he desired in a university, but it presented a problem. FSU has no dining hall or on-campus living, and he didn’t feel ready for an off-campus and out-of-state experience right out of high school. He instead chose to attend Rochester Institute of Technology in their Print Media program.
Realizing that Print Media was not the career of his liking, he transferred to Monroe Community College and earned his Associates Degree in Applied Sciences and Visual Communications Technology and Graphic Design. Upon graduation he attended SUNY Alfred seeking a Bachelor of Fine Arts studying Digital Media and Animation. His experience at Alfred further refined his interests, and his thinking returned to the field of creative writing and FSU.

Choosing a college requires research about the program and culture of the university. College Factual (www.collegefactual.com) ranks FSU in the top 2 percent of programs nationwide for Creative Writing. Even though he was ready to relocate, Bianchi quickly realized that moving down to Florida was not “in his budget”. The online program is priced the same as the on-campus program of the same name and it was an option that was worth exploring. Bianchi chose Full Sail’s Online Program for the quality of the program, the ease of transition and for financial reasons.

The “campus is everywhere” for online programs. Done right, online offers many advantages.

The structure of classes can be completely different for online study compared to a traditional semester structure. It is common for students to attend one class per month online as opposed to four classes over a ten-week semester on-campus. “Hyper-immersion” in one class working forty to fifty hours a week allows a student to focus and be diligent in learning as much as possible about the topic of the class. Students can start classes any month, not just September or January as is the case on-campus. Another benefit of an online experience is that tuition most often includes an up-to-the-minute laptop with all software, as well as books shipped monthly to the student’s location. Linda, Bianchi’s mother, likes this about online versus on-campus study “because it is one stop shopping and there are no hidden fees.”

Interaction with professors is achieved through multiple methods, notably through e-mail, online digital clients and GoToMeeting online services. GoToMeeting is a “digital classroom” that many online degree programs use because it has open messaging. The professor conducts a live classroom presentation with all students in attendance. Students register to attend prior to the meeting itself, can message people in attendance during the session, and can “raise a hand” to get the professor’s attention. Bianchi comments, “GoToMeeting is a very thorough and a very strong tool for education online, and Professors respond within minutes to e-mail inquiries”.

Messages between students are delivered directly using an online digital client. Open discussion boards are available for each class allowing students to discuss assignments, personal life challenges, and ask and answer questions about anything they wish. Forums for group study are common and cross geographic and time boundaries. It is common to study in a group forum with students in New York, Texas, Canada, and other locations at the same time. Open communication via FSU’s online digital client is the way that Bianchi communicates his questions with classmates.
As with all online interactions, Internet etiquette or “netiquette” is required. Arizona State University tells ASU Online students on its website (www.asuonline.asu.edu), “Netiquette, a social code that defines ‘good’ online behavior, is something to keep in mind during your online course interactions. Writing may be the only means of communication you have with classmates and instructors, so it is especially important to do this effectively.”
So much computer and network use can sometimes be problematic without the appropriate support services. Online programs have online technology support and choosing a school that has year-round and 24 hour access is critical. If a student has difficulty submitting an assignment online, the online support team needs to be there in the dead of night.

Education is one piece of the career puzzle, landing a position in a desired field is a bigger challenge. Online students have access to the same positions as on-campus students. Universities support graduates of online programs with the assistance of a career advisor with whom a student has many phone conversations. Online portals help organize resumes, keep track of job applications, schedule interviews and track job listings of interest.
How does a rising college student decide if an online program is right for him or her? Bianchi’s advice to students contemplating an online program is to “consider the finances and social aspect of college in addition to the appropriateness of the degree program”. He met his best friends during his on-campus studies but, for financial reasons on-campus at FSU was not an option. A social life is needed to balance the intense study college requires. Bianchi emphasizes the importance of meeting, making, and keeping friends outside of the virtual classroom. “You will meet the craziest, lifelong friends of your life in college and I met none of those crazy people in my time attending Full Sail Online”. This is one of the disadvantages to a strictly online program experience.
Jeffrey Grifa, McQuaid School Counselor agrees with Bianchi, “Students who pursue online degrees miss out on live interactions.” Grifa adds that he would recommend online studies for students “who are highly motivated and may not be able to get to a campus for a variety of reasons such as proximity, family or work obligations”.

Bianchi suggests it is important to “assess the amount of care that is put into an online program” to confirm that it is “rich in support, availability of courses and a quality education.” Talking to graduates of the program and current students is helpful. This advice holds true for evaluating the on-campus experience as well.

From a parent’s perspective, Bob Bianchi emphasizes, “with our four kids we’ve tried community colleges, online college, SUNY college, out-of-state college and private college, and each one of our kids thrived in a different setting.” The family had some doubts about online college, but “after the first two classes we knew it was the perfect fit for Bianchi’s personality and learning style.”

Choosing a school that is the “right fit” is the most important factor in deciding on a university. A university that takes their online program as seriously as their on-campus education and includes degree programs, classes, software and support resources, and post-graduate placement is the key to a successful online college experience. Bianchi’s journey is a testament to finding the right fit in choosing a university, and in having done so with the online program at FSU, he will graduate this month with his Bachelor’s degree. Congratulations!