Isaiah Stewart on path to the NBA

Former McQuaid student Isaiah Stewart is projected to be a first round draft pick in the 2020 NBA Draft. 

Isaiah Stewart played Varsity basketball at McQuaid for his Freshman and Sophomore years. Stewart left McQuaid to play his junior and senior season at a prep school in Indiana, La Lumiere School. Stewart received over 40 Division 1 college offers during his high school career. Stewart was also ranked #3 in the country by ESPN 100 for the class of 2019. 

Powerhouse schools such as Duke and Kentucky, who were bringing in other top recruits, were recruiting Stewart hard. Stewart narrowed down his hefty list of offers to four schools. The list included Duke, Washington, Michigan State, and Syracuse. Stewart made the choice to go to the University of Washington. Washington’s head coach Mike Hopkins had a big part in bringing in the 5-star recruit as he and Stewart had a close relationship while Hopkins was coaching at Syracuse University. 

Stewart has played both center and power forward for his position. The Washington Freshman weighs in at 250 pounds and is 6’9” tall. Stewart’s size has a lot to do with his success on the court. He is able to use his size to defend the paint and out rebound opponents. 

Isaiah Stewart recently played his best game so far this season on Dec. 17, 2019. The Washington Huskies hosted the Seattle Redhawks. Stewart finished with 27 points and 13 rebounds. These stats will continue to gain Stewart NBA attention. 

The Huskie is averaging 18.0 points and 8.4 rebounds per game. Stewart plays alongside another Rochester native, Nahziah Carter, who attended Bishop Kearney High School. 

If Stewart continues to have the season he’s been having, these predictions will turn into a former McQuaid student’s dream come true.