Students Begin Hunt for Summer Jobs

https://freephotos.cc/lifeguard

A lifeguard rescue tube laying on pool deck. A popular summer job for students is lifeguarding at an outdoor pool.

With the months of school getting shorter and summer fast approaching, McQuaid students are beginning to look for summer jobs before school starts up again. Whether you are looking for a little cash, just something to do, or even trying to pay for college, a summer job is not a bad idea.  Although the process to getting a job over the summer can become overwhelming very quickly.

To provide clarification about the process as a sophomore, Junior Ians Mills describes the procedure for getting a summer job as “difficult, but worth it.”  As a sophomore or junior under the age of 18, a work permit is required for minors at all places that employ minors. Getting a work permit can be a difficult task itself. To get a work permit, you have to go to the principal’s office and get an application form to be filled out and turned back in to receive the actual permit. Once a job is available, they will ask for other credentials, as well as your newly acquired work permit.

The next, but most difficult part of acquiring a summer job is the application process. Nowadays, many places allow online applications, but there’s nothing wrong with going in, showing your face and asking for an application. Doing this will make a person stand out a little more from the thousands of online applications being sent in–and so will bringing your filled out application back in and handing it to them.

Let’s say a prospective employer just called and asked when a good time to meet for an interview would be. Do not panic.  While an interview seems scary at first, most people hiring students for summer jobs are not looking for eloquent speakers who know everything about everything. They will most likely ask you simple questions pertaining to work experience, and experience in the field you are going to be working in. They may also ask questions about different scenarios and what to do in certain situations, just to see certain character traits and competencies.

If the interview went well and you just received a call letting you know you got the job, what should you do now? Well most places will have you come back in to fill out tax forms, minor work forms, as well as handing in copies of your I.D. and work permit, etc. This is also the best time to ask questions, as they may give you a tour of wherever you’ll be working as well as a how-to on your newly acquired job.

Congratulations, you have a job for the summer and are ready to start working. The process seemed overwhelming at first, but taking every step one-by-one makes it a little more digestible. It is definitely difficult, but definitely worth it. A summer job is great for meeting new people, putting yourself out there for new jobs in the future, college resumes, and yes, making some money.