“Huānyíng” Students from China

Chinese students Michael Zeng and Kevin Dai joined the eighth grade at McQuaid Jesuit earlier this semester.

Daniel Hershel

Recently, two new faces joined our school. Their names are Wenyi “Kevin” Dai and Xianyang “Michael” Zeng, and they are eighth grade students from China. They join McQuaid Jesuit to have the opportunity to be taught a Jesuit-based education, deepen their understanding of the English language, and immerse themselves in American life. In return, we welcome these students into our community for it is an opportunity to learn about their heritage, customs and life as a student in China while sharing all that is great about our school.

McQuaid Jesuit Principal Mr. Adam Baber explained, “An international program is something that the school has considered several times in the recent past. There is a lot of interest in other countries, such as China, in American high schools and the opportunities and education we provide.” McQuaid Mandarin teacher Ms. Yinghua Yang eagerly awaited the arrival of Kevin and Michael and is a strong supporter of them.  As fellow students, our role is to form new friendships as well as help them along their journey to success.

One important aspect of the international program depends on finding and matching the students with host families that help make the students’ experience as comfortable and positive as possible. The host families help the international students to settle quickly, safely, and comfortably into their lives in Rochester, and at McQuaid. They introduce the students to American culture, values, and traditions and in return, the host families will increase their cultural awareness of China, build a lifelong friendship, and experience the joy of having a new family member.

While the current plan is for the students from China to remain at McQuaid this semester, their stay in Rochester may last longer. This area offers a number of excellent universities. These schools and others have strong international communities that play an ongoing role for providing cultural events and welcoming new people into the Greater Rochester area.

This is new territory for McQuaid. So how will we know if the program is successful? Mr. Baber said, “I think if our international students feel ‘at home’ at McQuaid, feel a part of our community, and ultimately graduate with a McQuaid diploma on their way to the next step in their journey – that’s what success looks like.”

Considering the extraordinary and complete education we receive at McQuaid, it’s no wonder that families from other countries want to send their sons to have the “Knight” experience. Next time you see Kevin or Michael at school, remember to say Huānyíng to welcome them to their new adventure.