Beloved Student at McQuaid Jesuit Tests Positive for COVID

With the dreaded fall spike of the novel coronavirus in full effect, McQuaid Jesuit High School’s future hangs in the balance.

Cases in Monroe County continue to rise, and many experts fear the situation will get worse before it gets better. One such new case can be found with someone who is often found representing the McQuaid Jesuit community: Colin Bavibidila, ‘22.

Colin Bavibidila, a staple of the Class of 2022’s student leadership programs, learned he tested positive for the Corona Virus on Thursday, December 3rd. He was not shocked. 

Colin believes that he is at fault for testing positive, an answer to be expected from a McQuaid man through and through. Colin takes responsibility for his own actions. It may be such the case that Colin was simply unlucky – wrong place, wrong time. However, how he got it is not really what matters. For Colin, what’s next?

Colin is beloved by the McQuaid Jesuit community, being known for his contributions to organizing student events, helping others any chance he gets, and being a member of the varsity basketball team. Colin is often seen roaming the halls with a wide smile on his face, thankful for every day spent here at McQuaid Jesuit. 

Colin is a dear friend, and if you have ever met him, you will agree that he is a model student, always giving his best effort to the heavy workload he receives taking many difficult classes. As someone who cares a lot about schooling, what does Colin have to say about McQuaid Jesuit going fully online?

“Absolutely, positively, no,” says Bavibidila, ‘22. 

A polarizing answer, one that many people may disagree with, but Colin persists.

“Students are more engaged, and want to do well when they are in person,” says Bavibidila.

Where should McQuaid Jesuit draw the line between in-person schooling, and protecting the safety of the community? At what point is it no longer safe for students to attend school? These are questions that nobody has the answer to. Nevertheless, Colin (being the natural born leader he is), has a friendly reminder to all the students, faculty, and members of the community who are willing to hear what he has to say.

“Trust the process,” says Bavibidila.

With a simple statement, Colin proclaims that the school is doing a great job at monitoring and protecting the student body. Recent testing results proved that, with an incredibly reassuring positivity rate. With only 5 current active cases (according to the McQuaid Jesuit Website), maybe things are not as bad as they seem. 

When Colin’s quarantine period concludes in roughly two weeks, we may be looking at a completely different situation than we are today. That is, in large part, up to the student body, faculty, and staff’s willingness to wear masks, social distance, and keep social gatherings to a minimum.

However, what could happen when someone else tests positive case? What would the school be thinking about now?

Luckily, McQuaid  Jesuit continues to remain safe. While a vast majority of the student body has not been exposed to an outbreak,  is the school just waiting the inevitable?