Hometown Hero Makes Dreams Come True

The Accolade Staff

McQuaid celebrating game winning block with the return of former player Isaiah Stewart.

Former McQuaid Jesuit basketball star and University of Washington center Isaiah Stewart becomes the highest player drafted out of Rochester at sixteenth overall after the recent NBA draft.

Isaiah grew up in Rochester and attended McQuaid for his freshman and sophomore year. During his freshman year, he averaged 18.5 points, 12.4 rebounds, and 3.1 blocks per game. 

Mr. Gerard Iglesia, Isaiah’s former AAU coach and McQuaid assistant coach, attributes his work ethic and ability to listen to coaches as one of his many reasons for success. 

Isaiah had always been gifted at finishing around the rim. Being 6 feet 7 inches as a freshman, it was a given. However, if he wanted to play at the next level, he knew he had to work on other abilities.

“He knew he had to become a better passer, and a better shooter from the mid-range. So he worked and worked and worked on that,” Iglesia states.

After his sophomore year, Isaiah transferred from McQuaid to the La Lumiere School in La Porte, Indiana. At La Lumiere, Isaiah won Naismith Prep Player of the Year, was selected to the McDonald’s All-American Game, and was ranked 3 in his class by ESPN. 

While Isaiah was away at prep school, one of his former classmates got cancer. To show his support for him, Isaiah signed his Team USA jersey that he wore to win a gold medal and gave it to his friend. Iglesia says how this “speaks to his selflessness, his empathy and his overall character.”

Isaiah went on to average 17 points and 8.8 rebounds per game at University of Washington and was named first team all Pac-12 before being drafted. 

Isaiah embodied what it meant to be a Knight and continues to as he makes his journey from hometown hero to Detroit Piston.