Donny Glavin: Former Knight Still Competing

A Recurring Look at Alumni Athletes

Currently, all across the country McQuaid alumni are competing in college athletics. In every major sport there is a former Knight displaying his athletic talents at an extremely high level. Since the graduating class of 2014, McQuaid has produced more than 60 collegiate athletes.

To put this in perspective according to scholarshipstats.com, an average of about 7 percent of high school athletes nationwide continue their careers at college, while almost 14 percent of McQuaid graduates are competing at the educational institute of their choice.

Each month, a new athlete will be highlighted on The Lance, This week we’ll focus on class of 2016 cross country runner, Donny Glavin.

Glavin transferred to McQuaid as a sophomore from Hilton where he had run varsity as an eighth grader. He quickly rose up through the ranks on the cross country team, becoming the team’s No. 1 man his senior year. While at McQuaid he won All Greater Rochester Runner of the Year, All State Indoor Track, and All State cross country twice.

“My transition from Hilton to McQuaid was difficult at first, but ended up being the greatest decision of my life,” said Glavin. “And now the people that I was on the team with are some of my best friends and will certainly be brothers for life.”

Glavin will forever be a part of McQuaid sports lore as he accomplished a rare, almost impossible feat: winning a sectional championship during his junior year outdoor track season and continuing to win them until he graduated.

“Winning the triple crown my senior year was unbelievable,” exclaimed Glavin. “Everyone stepped up when it mattered most, and it was just an amazing experience to enjoy and celebrate a huge success and accomplishment with your brothers.”

At Canisius College, Glavin is majoring in sports management, where in his freshman year and his first race as a Griffin, he ran to a 2nd place finish in The Little Three Championships. Last year as a sophomore, Glavin’s most notable accomplishment would be finishing 10th at the MAAC Cross Country Championships. Glavin has decided to redshirt this year in his junior season.

Glavin was coached all three years by Todd Stewart who elaborated on the college decision making process.

“Canisius is a hotbed for some of our other more talented runners in Section V. I felt in that case Canisius was a very good fit for him with room to develop and contribute,” said Coach Stewart. “He knew the whole time he wanted to go for Sports Administration. When it comes to Canisius, it’s tough to beat.”

Coach Stewart would be right in that sense, as Canisius College consistently ranks among the Top Five for that particular program.

“My mom and grandparents were very supportive in whatever decision or reasoning that I had,” said Glavin. “There was never any pressure to choose one school or another.”

For those athletes now considering competing at the college of their choice, Glavin offers advice.

“The best advice that I can give is to keep working hard”, Glavin says. As cliche as that is, it is true. Coaches at the college level appreciate those who bust their butt day in and day out at practice.”

Along with the guidance and support of family and coaches, Glavin’s hardwork and dedication earned him a scholarship to compete year round for a Division I program at Canisius College.

Soon to come, The Lance will highlight former McQuaid football defensive end Demetrius Breedlove.