Soccer Team Wins NYS Championship

The McQuaid Jesuit soccer Knights won the NYS Class AA State Championship on November 12. This victory capped off McQuaid’s perfect season, 22-0. The Knights lived up to their ranking of first in the state, and third in the country.

The Knights 2017 roster consisted of twenty seniors and eleven juniors. They had a steady regular season, with some games closer than others. The closer games being at Cicero-North Syracuse (1-0), at Canisius (2-1), and vs. Webster Schroeder (1-0).

The Knights were able to continue on their win streak throughout the postseason. They were awarded a first round bye, and hosted Gates-Chili in their quarterfinal game, winning 6-0, on October 20. The Knights then advanced to the semifinal where they faced Webster Thomas on October 26, and won 1-0.

At last, the Knights were proclaimed Section V Class AA Champions, after defeating Hilton, 1-0, on October 31. Both the sectional semifinal and final games were played at Spencerport High School.

The Knights then travelled outside of the greater Rochester area. They defeated Clarence High School on November 4, 1-0. Then, they travelled down to Middletown, New York, to play their state semifinal and final games. They beat Ithaca High School on November 11, 1-0, to advance to the state final.

In the state final game, Senior Goalkeeper Tommy Gallina allowed zero goals, and the Knights had plenty of offense, as they defeated Half Hollow Hills High School West, 6-0. The Knights had two goals coming from seniors Dominic Duncan and Adriano Margiotta. Also, senior Justin LaFountain and junior Dan Malloy each chipped in a goal.

Second year coach Nino Pilato reflected on his first undefeated season. “The boys performed well obviously. They didn’t buckle under pressure and won a few tight games. They showed that hard work does pay off. I was most happy with the leadership of the seniors/captains to keep everyone on the same page. It was also great that the boys all accepted their role on the team which helped keep the chemistry positive!”

Junior defenseman Tim Brown also shared how much he enjoyed the season. “I absolutely loved every minute of the season. I can easily say that it was the most fun season of soccer that I’ve had my whole life. With the team we had and the coaching staff, there was never a dull moment.” Brown is looking forward to next season.

Duncan led McQuaid in goals on the season with sixteen. Margiotta finished the season leading the Knights in assists, with fourteen. Gallina led Section V with a GAA (Goals Allowed Average) of 0.089. Overall, the Knights had a phenomenal season and the McQuaid Jesuit community should be very proud of their accomplishments.