New Vaping Trend Poses Health Risks

Sean Reilly '20

A wide variety of juuls, junos, mods, and vape pens. These are all used by Ms. Kaiser to demonstrate the use and dangers of vaping.

The new trend of smoking e-cigarettes, commonly known as vaping, has grown in popularity and unfortunately McQuaid Jesuit students are picking up the habit.

Vaping is the act of inhaling vaporized nicotine. There are many tools people can use to vape, but some of the most common devices are junos and juuls.

Students have picked up the habit for many reasons. One McQuaid sophomore said, “When I vape during school, it helps me to relax and eases my stress from all of my classes.” Some report that it helps them sleep.

However, just because vaping has some positive effects does not mean it is good for you. In many cases it can cause popcorn lung, which is a serious lung disease that can scar the tiny air sacs in your lungs, making the airways thicken and narrow.  This disease comes from the large amounts of diacetyl that are inhaled in the flavoring of the vape juice.

Ms. Jen Keiser, an outreach counselor with the Rochester Regional Health System, said, “There is not a lot of knowledge about vaping.” It has only been around in the United States since 2007, and there is still much to learn about vaping. People never thought smoking was bad in its early stages.

Even with this lack of knowledge, vaping continues to grow. A survey was taken school last year of vaping rates among students. In eighth grade, 12 percent of students have tried vaping with none in the last 30 days.  In tenth grade 36 percent had tried them, 17 percent in the last 30 days, 6 percent daily. In twelfth grade 45 percent of students have tried them, 27 percent in the last thirty days, 10percent daily.

Overall, the act of inhaling this vaporized nicotine has become a big controversy for many people, and it is starting to become popular as students move throughout school.  Even with the positive effects some students claim to have, picking up this habit is a risk that can lead to very serious negative health effects.  It is also illegal to vape on school grounds in New York state.

If you or someone you know is struggling with nicotine addiction, contact Ms. Keiser in the guidance office, and she can help walk you through the necessary steps for getting help.