Students React to New Wegman Center

New Wegman Center in use shortly after being opened.

McQuaid

The new McQuaid Wegman Family Science and Technology Center has been open for roughly seven weeks and seems to be a success. The new computer labs are a good space for enhanced computer classes. The new biology and chemistry rooms include a much needed upgrade in technology and in space for labs. The engineering lab provides a great space for robotics and other clubs.

Some McQuaid students who have classes in the new Center have positive opinions on the new change in scenery. Biology student Luke Begeman says that it is refreshing to have a change in scenery. He likes the lighting better and thinks it has made it easier to focus. He also likes the added room for labs and other activities. Luke said, “There is more room to work and a better environment, especially because the screen and board do not have a heavy amount of glare compared to Mrs. Kaidy’s old room.” Luke also likes the temperature better; it is not too hot like other rooms throughout McQuaid. However, he thinks that some of the rules can be a bit over the top. He does not think it is necessary for the gates to close at 4:00 p.m., and he thinks students should be allowed to have water in the common areas.

Sophomore Karanveer Blagan thinks the new Wegman Center is an overall better experience. He has Mr. Hochadel for Biology and feels class has become easier to focus because there is less hallway traffic. He thinks the tech can be distracting sometimes, but it is generally a better experience. He is also in Computer Game Design with Mr. Simkins. He likes the dual monitors because they allow him to write code and watch tutorials concurrently. The room is also larger and allows for more space to work. He is happy to see that the cable management is better in the new computer labs. He also agrees the rules are a little too strict.  “The rules are too strict and harshly applied,” he said.

Sophomore Dan Viola is in AP Computer Science, and he does robotics. For computer science with Mr. Maxwell, he says the room is a lot brighter and the desks are a lot bigger. This helps the laptops with battery life because the brightness can be turned down. The larger desks help with working more comfortably. In robotics the team has been working in the new engineering lab. They have all new tools and equipment. For robotics Dan said, “The tools are more advanced, making the jobs a lot easier and faster.” This helps to keep work moving more efficiently and they can get more done.