Students and Staff Expand Knowledge During Black History Month

Jackie Robinson poses for a picture in 1954. Being the first Black man in the MLB, Robinson was an inspiration for all and continues to be one to this day.

This February, through different engagements with students, McQuaid Jesuit celebrated Black History Month to honor and remember leaders who sparked change in the local community and in the world. 

Black history trivia is the first way McQuaid students were able to participate. With a new question every week, all students and staff were eligible to win prizes.  Prominent black figures  such as Stacey Abrams, a political leader and voting rights activist in Georgia, to John Mercer Langston, the first Black lawyer in America, help expand the McQuaid community’s understanding of black history and the issues surrounding black Americans. 

Ms. Maggie Craig, McQuaid’s Black Student Union moderator, says another way McQuaid celebrated Black History Month is with a wristband fundraiser. 

“Anyone who purchases a band is eligible for a McQuaid dress-down at the end of the month and is entered to win a free meal from a Black-owned business. All proceeds from the bands will be donated to The Boys and Girls Club of Rochester,” said Craig. 

Screenings of movies by Black directors were shown during lunch periods as well. One movie played was “One Night in Miami,” a fictional story of a meeting between Malcom X, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, and Sam Cook during the 1960s.

Learning and combating racism should be a priority for anyone. During February, people learn just how much racist policies negatively impact the lives of many black Americans . From the remaining effects of redlining to over policing in urban areas, black Americans are not given the same treatment as others. 

“We offered several opportunities for faculty and staff to engage in learning about anti-racism through virtual programs throughout the month,” said Craig. 

Black History Month is, more importantly, a time to celebrate black excellence in America. However, it is also a time of self-reflection on how we can be better humans towards others.