Many Honored at McQuaid Spring Awards Ceremony

Mr.+Chris+Mulroy+takes+over+the+John+H.+Ryan+as+he+is+awarded+teacher+of+the+year.+

Mr. Sean Mullen '02

Mr. Chris Mulroy takes over the John H. Ryan as he is awarded teacher of the year.

The McQuaid Jesuit Spring Award’s Assembly took place on Tuesday, April 24, in the John H. Ryan, Jr. Memorial Gymnasium. Many students were awarded for their hard work and excellence in the classroom, as well in their extracurricular pursuits.

Senior Tyler Bergeron won both the Knight of the Year Award and the University Award for Excellence in both Athletics and Academics. The Knight of the Year award is given to the student who best exemplifies the qualities of what it means to be a McQuaid Jesuit Knight.

Senior Will Harvey was awarded the Sportsmanship award. Harvey is a three-sport athlete who is a member of the volleyball, indoor track, and lacrosse teams.

The Teacher of the Year award was awarded to Mr. Chris Mulroy.  This marked Mulroy’s second time winning the award, as he also won in 2011. Mulroy teaches American History and Global Studies 2.

Many scholarships were awarded to current juniors. Book scholarships were awarded from roughly ten schools, entailing a $5,000 scholarship per year to each school.

Among the most prestigious book scholarships, were the one’s coming from Bowdoin College and Dartmouth College. Adam Daughton won the Bowdoin book award, while Brady Darby took home the Dartmouth book award.

Junior Ryan Ford won the prestigious Notre Dame Junior of the Year Award. The award is sponsored by the Notre Dame Club of Rochester.

Students were also recognized by the American Chemical Society for their excellence in Chemistry. The top 10 percent of students who take Chemistry were recognized, as well as the top 20 percent of students who take Advanced Placement Chemistry.

McQuaid students’ commitment to service was also honored. Seniors Yury Bogatyrev, Sean O’Connor, Christian Matthews, and Zachary Schwab were recognized for completing over 400 hours of community service in high school.

The NYSPHAA recognized dozens of students who balance the rigors of playing a varsity sport, while maintaining at least a 90.000 GPA.

The 2018 Yearbook will be dedicated to Mr. Jeffrey Siuda.  Siuda is a member of the English Department, teaching sophomores and seniors. He is known for his energy, enthusiasm, and commitment to bettering his students.

The Thomas Shields Award was awarded to Mrs. Theresa Maguire. Maguire works in the Dean of Students office, assisting Dr. Christopher Parks in his duties.

Many seniors were awarded the National Merit Scholarship based on the 2017-2018 school year. These seven students are Aaron Becker, Nicholas Bonfiglio, Nathaniel Brunacini, Connor Palleschi, George Rogalskyj, Daniel Shied, and Chase Tyler.

Many student artists and musicians were recognized for their performance in the Fine Arts. The award for the Best Art Student in the High School was bestowed upon Jacob Dambra, while the award for Best Art Student in the Middle School went to Andrew O’Hern.

Lastly, the Middle School recognized all the students who have won the Knight of the Month and the Student of the Month awards.