Seniors Qualify to Speech Nationals

Four McQuaid students qualified for Speech and Debate Nationals at the NYC Bronx tournament on the weekend of Oct. 20th.

Logan Brown, Jake Longuil, Aiden Aguirre, and Payton Petkus competed at the speech and debate New York City Invitational. Despite only bringing four students, McQuaid had 3 representatives in finals of the competition. McQuaid was the seventh school to achieve the most amount of points, against schools with more than 10 times the number of students we brought.

Brown, Longuil, and Petkus also made great success on a national level as well. All three seniors received a full bid to the Tournament of Champions, which is a national tournament that takes the top 60-80 kids in the nation in each event. For the first time in school history, McQuaid will send students to that tournament this year.

As the Bronx tournament director Joe Vaughan put it, McQuaid is “small but mighty.” This sentiment was also carried out this weekend at local competition. Because of the hard work of Gagan Timsina, Michael Mitrano, and Jordan Moran, McQuaid was able to be second in the forensics tournament at Mt. Mercy.

This is just one weekend of winning for the McQuaid Jesuit speech and debate team, with hopefully many more yet to come.