Value the Time

Seniors Reflect on Final Semester at McQuaid

Benjamin Woodring, '19

The Senior hallway sits empty in between classes.

The student body at McQuaid Jesuit has now entered the second semester of the 2018-2019 school year. For many, this is a reminder that they are halfway through the year and there is still more work to be done. However, for Seniors, this is the last semester of their high school career at McQuaid. After graduation, they will be starting their new lives, away from the place they called “home” for many years.

The last day of senior classes is May 10.  Time is winding down and the graduation date is moving closer.  Many seniors will know soon what their next steps in life will be.

Many McQuaid seniors may have not realized that their time is almost up. They will be moving on, away from the McQuaid environment. Senior year is the last time they may all be together at once, last prom, last game. However many want to take into account that they must make their “last time” count. They must value the precious time that they have together as a class because in a couple months, they will all be alumni.

“It is hard to believe and crazy to think that this is going to be my last semester as a student at McQuaid.  This is my fifth year here and the bittersweet feeling is really starting emerge,” senior Matt Wert said. 

He also made a point that although he and others are excited, they are saddened that their time as students is over. It is an exciting feeling knowing that they will be moving on to the next chapter in life. However, they are moving on from the environment that they love and feel comfortable with.

“If I could do it all over again, I would,” Wert said. Although moving away from the McQuaid environment will be challenging, McQuaid has prepared its seniors in a way that other schools have not. McQuaid seniors will take the life lessons that they have learned and will apply them to the rest of their daily lives.

Wert also said, “I know that it will take some adjusting, but I know between my knowledge and work ethic that I will achieve success, McQuaid taught me lessons in life that I know will apply to me in college. I know that I was prepared a lot more than I would have been in a public school where you are just a number in the class.”

As for moving on, the bittersweet feeling Matt spoke of is real. Many are excited and can’t wait for the next step in their lives.  At the same time, many may feel anxious about moving out of their comfort zones. 

“My goal is to finish strong academically and continue to spend as much time with my brothers as time dwindles down. I want to make the most of it,” Wert said. With one semester remaining, seniors want to make memories with their brothers that they will be able to share and hold onto for the rest of their lives.

Wert offered one last piece of advice to underclassmen.

“Challenge yourself, but not to the point where it is stressing you out.  Don’t take classes that you know will make you stressed.  It is not worth it for the short time of Senior year. The year goes by fast and you want to have fun and relax. Always remember to finish strong academically, but make sure to have fun and not stress yourself out. You want to enjoy your senior year.”

Soon, seniors will be walking the Eastman Theater stage, starting their new lives. They know that the lessons they learned at McQuaid will help combat the stress and anxiety of the unknown in the future. Although it is sad to think about one’s last game and last prom, it is the memories made that will last a lifetime. As the second semester begins seniors should remember to make the most of it and make the most memories, because the time will blow by fast.