Roving Reporter: McQuaid Jesuit Students React to STEM Center

An+astonishing+second+floor+view+of+the+Wegman+Family+Science+and+Technology+Center.+

Mr. Adam Baber

An astonishing second floor view of the Wegman Family Science and Technology Center.

• “I believe that the Wegman Center will be a valuable tool to help us learn. It gives us brand new equipment in subjects such as biology, and it allows Campus Ministry a new place to work from. This should allow them to plan many more activities.”-RJ Jacobson, Freshman

• “It is a lot bigger than I expected. Great, great size. The classrooms have a lot more space.”-Jack Foster, Freshman

• “I think it is an innovative way to learn about new things.”-Stan Refermat, Sophomore

• “I think that it is too good to be true and too nice to be real!”-Spencer Dovi, Sophomore

• “I think it is pretty innovative. I like the idea for a new building for new science wings, bigger places like computer labs, and the science rooms.”-Donovan Banker, Sophomore

• “I think it is going to be very helpful for teachers to have their own classes in bigger environments and be able to have more experiences with these bigger environments.”-Dom Provo, Junior

• “Overall, I am happy that I am getting to use it. I wish I could get more classes in there, and I am going to love it there.”-Peter Zappia, Junior

• “The STEM makes the future of McQuaid Jesuit education look bright.”-Austin Manville, Senior “I love the natural light, and the newer rooms mean new opportunity.”-Dillon Salluzzo, Senior

• “The STEM Center is a very nice asset to McQuaid. The students will utilize every part of it from the classrooms to the independent study rooms to the commons outside during the spring and for cookouts. It will enhance the learning of the students by giving them a more college-like feel with the large classrooms. The teachers are going to be more inclined to be able to use every part of their rooms, especially with more labs and hands-on learning. My favorite area is the commons inside with the booths and the stairs kids can sit on and study.”-Timothy Geen, Senior

To celebrate the grand opening of the Wegman Family Science and Technology Center, or “STEM” Center at McQuaid Jesuit, a number of students were asked to share their thoughts on this new addition to the campus.

What do you think of the new STEM Center?

“I think the new Stem building is something that’s been long due for a school that promotes the sciences, math, and engineering. Couldn’t ask for nicer. It’s nice to have a new study space and open rooms that dont feel outdated. It’s a drag to do chemistry or computer science with a clutter of outdated equipment and the new stem building really fixes that for me. It’s a new motivator for me to pursue engineering. Mainly I’m just happy the robotics gets a ton of new saws and workstations to play with. Anything beats cutting metal in the school hallways.”-Delancey Hobbs, Junior

“I think that the STEM center was a much needed update to the McQuaid Jesuit campus and Science/ Technology departments. The STEM center is a step towards making the McQuaid campus seem like a college preparatory institution to back up the academic rigor that already exists.”-Adrien Labey-Stone, Senior