McQuaid Hosts 4th Annual Speech and Debate Showcase

McQuaid speech and debate teams hosts 4th annual Speech and Debate Showcase.

On Jan. 11, McQuaid Jesuit hosted the fourth annual Speech & Debate Showcase.  The Showcase was presented by both the McQuaid Jesuit and Our Lady of Mercy speech & debate teams.  In total 15 McQuaid students participated in this event.

Senior Mike Pavone was the first McQuaid student to present his work.  Pavone performed a Dramatic Interpretation, which is a speech or portion of a speech previously given by another person.  Pavone’s speech was particularly moving, as it was about a young girl who had experienced physical abuse during her life.  Pavone took the perspective of a security guard working at a support facility who had created a relationship with the young girl named Camila.  When Camila’s father, who had abused her in the past came to get her, the security guard defends young Camila from her abusive father.

Pavone’s use of hand motions and sincere facial expressions is what made his performance so powerful.  Pavone’s teammate, junior Daniel Backus, spoke very highly of Pavone.

“Mike has a natural talent for oration and a passion to make change, which is really what the team is all about,” Backus said.  “Being able to work with someone so talented who is able to use those skills to inspire social change is in itself inspiring.”

Backus also praised Pavone for his role as a leader.  

“Mike is always extremely supportive of the whole team, in and out of Speech and Debate. Team unity is important, and Mike’s role as a leader and teammate has allowed the McQuaid team to be so successful.”  Pavone will continue his speech and debate career at the University of Bradley next year.

Junior Gagan Timsina was another McQuaid student whose performance stood out.  Timsina performed an Original Oratory about the fear of the unknown, where he made references to his childhood in Nepal.  Original Oratory is a self-written, 10-minute piece on a topic of their choosing.

Timsina opened up about the fear of the unknown and how the pressures of the unknown may scare us away from some amazing experiences.  

Timsina explained the nerves behind a certain situation.  “Personally, I was pretty nervous; I had never performed with so many people before me. But, as I got up and started performing, my fear began to transform into happiness and excitement.”  The nerves never showed for Timsina who delivered an amazing speech filled with enthusiasm and excitement.

Besides his own performance, Timsina also really enjoyed the humorous presentation of Senior René Ouimet.  “My favorite part of the entire showcase would have to be Rene’s OI.  It was hilarious and it kept the entire audience entertained. And I thought it was a great addition to the showcase.”  

Junior Michael Mitrano’s speech was another that wowed the crowd.  Mitrano also performed an Original Oratory about a very controversial topic: depression.  Mitrano highlighted the fact that many teens are facing depression and feel as if there is no escape.  

Mitrano’s speech received a warm applause from the audience at the conclusion of his speech in which he offered a word of advice to those suffering with depression.  Mitrano said to make connections to give you a purpose in life to fill the void you were feeling.

Mitrano spoke very highly of his coach, Dr. Kathy Ruppert, for her commitment to him and his teammates through this nerve-wracking experience.  

“If I had to thank anyone, it would be Dr. Ruppert for staying there with me and this speech through and through, as well as sticking with this team through the highs and the lows.”  

Other McQuaid students who performed:

• Junior Jake Longuil, Humorous Interpretation
  • Freshman Kendal Burno, Declamation
  • Junior Logan X Brown Program Oral Interpretation
  • Freshman Rohan Vyas, Extemporaneous Speaking
  • Junior Payton Petkus, Dramatic Interpretation
  • Senior René Ouimet, Prose
  • Junior Aiden Aguirre, Original Oratory
  • Zach Briggs / Jamie Robinson -v.- Chris Capozzi / Laura Giugno, Lincoln-Douglas debate
  • Connor Carrigan / Daniel Backus -v.- Rory Herrema / Emma Raymond, Public Forum