Mosaic Club Brings New Ideas to McQuaid

McQuaid students attended the fall 2017 Roc2Change Summit, hosted by the Brockport Central Schools District.

Daniel Hershel

McQuaid Jesuit is always adding new clubs for its students. One new club making an impact not just in the walls of McQuaid, would be the Mosaic Club.

The club started in the spring of 2017 with the help of Italian teacher and Mosaic Club moderator Ms. Alba Lupia, adult leader Mr. Patrick Flaherty, as well as some students like senior Mike Pavone and Divine Williams, ‘18. The club has been making many efforts on subjects such as race and other social injustices that are going on in America.

“I see the club as a place where students can come in and feel accepted and welcomed no matter who they are or what kind of background they have,” Mr. Flaherty said.  That was not all he had to say on the point, also mentioning that your political beliefs don’t matter, and that the club is interested in all beliefs that people share.

Mr. Flaherty also explained how students led smaller events in order to try to make a bigger impact on society by the messages and conversation they have in the meetings. While the club meets at McQuaid, many of the events they attend are done through other events that happen in Rochester–a major one being Roc2Change. These summits on race are hosted by a different school district twice per year. 

The Mosaic Club also attempts to use the message inside Mcquaid to make sure that all the people in McQuaid feel welcomed, an issue that some students at McQuaid have struggled with.

Compassion and connection for everyone at McQuaid,” Ms. Lupia said.  She talked about how accepting the club is to all individuals and mentioned some upcoming programming, including the Black history experience, which will happen in February and some film viewings after which students will have the opportunity to discuss key issues raised in the movies.

I think we have a mission rather than message. We want to make a safe place for kids to come to, and are able to be comfortable,” said Mike Pavone. “Making sure everyone is respected and their opinions heard is what we are striving for. Breaking down social barriers to make room for conversation and understanding.” The idea of allowing all students to have a place in the community of McQuaid is an important part of what the club represents and is a mission that they are striving for every day.

Though the club is relatively new, it is striving to make a difference.

“Not every kid in high school is ready to tackle problems involving race and social injustices,” said Mike. “It took a lot of time to make the club grow and be known in the community.” However, each day they are doing everything in their power to make it seem like people can talk about this without getting any backlash, to make everyone feel welcomed at McQuaid.